Sunday, February 8, 2009

Studio City


Today, I visited the Sunday farmer's market in Studio City, at the corner of Ventura and Laurel Canyon Blvds.

How often do you get to taste a new fruit? At least, I never heard of the sweet lime. Its name is a bit of a misnomer though. It does not look like a lime. Instead, one could mistake it for a lemon (see picture), though more round than oval. It is has a definite citrus flavor, but it is not very sweet. The flavor is probably more tangerine, but with hints of grapefruit. I got this at the stand of Cliff McFarlin, who brings his fruit fresh from his family's orchards near Fresno. Aside from the sweet lime, he brings all kinds of citrus. He also sells wonderful sundried raisins.

At the Ipatzi nursery, I obtained some lemon grass to grow in the yard. For $3, I expect to have a life time supply. In the grocery store, one can pay almost as much for one packet of old stalks.

These are just the immediate highlights. I brought enough vegetables for several dinners, and I'll report on those over the course of the next week.

1 comment:

  1. picture link on Studio City Farmer's Market.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dosomething/sets/72157613493467885/show/with/3265027524/

    ReplyDelete