Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Studio City, Lunch two days later


So, when is the last time you saw a really nice frisee salad in the supermarket? Well, at the Studio City farmer's market, I bought three of the freshest, nicest heads of beautiful, young, yellow-green heads one can find anywhere. I bought this from the stand of the Rancho Cortez (Santa Maria) farm.

The traditional French way demands to toss this salad with a warm vinaigrette made of rendered lardon fat and to top it with some poached eggs, the lardons, and croutons. In America, bacon and its fat can be used. However, lardons are so much more satisfying. So, here is my plea to American butchers: please get out of your rut and start stocking some good traditional charcuterie!

Of course, the pork fat turns the salad into a saturated-fat calorie bomb. For dietary as well as convenience reasons, I simplified the tradition for yesterday's lunch. I tossed the salad with some good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fleur de sel, and black pepper. I topped that with poached eggs and some toast. Simple. Good. Satisfying. Cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment