Monday, February 9, 2009

Studio City, Dinner from Sunday's Harvest


At Sunday morning's Studio City Farmer's market, I picked up a package of Five Cheese Ravioli from Spaghettata (Long Beach). The owner, John, was clearly someone passionate about his craft, so I thought I should give it a try. Originally, I was going to pair the ravioli with a meat sauce, a Bolognese say. By the time dinner time came around, that seemed a bit too heavy.

So, I decided to pair the Ravioli up with the simplest of tomato sauces. I had also picked up some vine-ripened tomatoes from "The Tomato Man" at the market. The deep-red color of his tomatoes was to good to resist. While cooking the ravioli, I sweated some onion and garlic in an olive oil. Then I added in the tomatoes and some homegrown thyme for a few minutes and then the cooked ravioli.

In the future, I'd cook the tomatoes a bit less. These tomatoes are harvested at their peak and, hence, disintegrate much faster than typical store-bought varieties (even if vine-ripened). This did nothing to the taste, but the sauce was a bit more soupy than I'd like. I would also have liked to add some basil, but our garden is in winter remission...

All the prep was easily done in the time it took to boil the water. Ten minutes after that, we had a satisfying meal.

1 comment:

  1. and here is the MAN - John.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dosomething/3266585957/

    ReplyDelete