Sunday, February 22, 2009

Alhambra


Last week, it rained all weekend, and I did not get to any farmer's market, hence no blog posts... Today, I visited the Alhambra farmer's market on the intersection of Monterey and Bay Aves.

The market reflects that this is a predominantly Chinese neighborhood. The produce stands have lots of fresh cilantro, mustard greens, daikon radishes, pea shoots, Chinese broccoli, etc. So, this is definitely the place to be for your next stir fry.

I ended up buying relatively little this week, as the coming week is rather busy. However, I tasted several interesting items, some for the first time. At the stand of Pato's Dream Date Garden, I tasted a marvelously sweet honey date. At other end of the spectrum, a Chinese red date (at another stand) was not sweet at all. In fact, the flavor is rather subtle.

The find of the day were Cherimoyas, also known as custard apples (see picture). I had never had these before, and so it was a bit of a revelation. I brought some home to ripen. I would also like to figure out what to do with them, apart from eating them as is.

My final thought of the day is a bit of a complaint about Farmer's markets. Since I started writing this blog a few weeks ago, I always made a point to mention the farmers/producers from whom I procured the goods. Farmer's markets are a perfect place to get fresh food directly from the people who grow it. It is also a place where you can develop a relationship with these producers.

When it's not too busy, I strike up a chat and ask all kinds of questions. When it's busy, however, I don't want to keep these hardworking folk from making some money, and I just keep it brief. Then, I just ask the name of the farm and go on to the next venture. My complaint is that most stands don't even bother putting up a sign of who they are, where they come from, or what makes them special. This is a missed opportunity, and farmers are selling themselves short. Produce as a commodity product is available at any grocery store. Produce at a farmer's market should have a story to tell.

Stands that sell special items, like Pato's Dream Date Garden, do an outstanding job at this. Most produce growers, though, have much to learn. It does not have to be complicated; a simple sign, a flyer, a business card, or a picture of the farm will do.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dosomething/sets/72157614315081006/
    picture link for Alhambra Farmer's Market.

    ReplyDelete